Sunday, October 01, 2006

Music and TV

A few years ago I was recuperating from surgery and in bed for several weeks - my husband, in an attempt to keep me distracted, bought some TV series on DVD, one of them being the first season of Smallville (the back story of Superman as a teenager and young adult - very much worth watching, by the way). One of the things that struck me in this particular series (for the first time - it had not really entered my radar screen prior to this) was the use of music in each episode. The producers seemed to have a gift for picking just the right songs to set a mood (Lifehouse's "Everything" during a romantic scene, Eva Cassidy's poignant rendition of "Time after time" as backdrop for a funeral scene). I discovered lots of music by watching TV since then, the most recent one being Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars" - during the second season finale of Grey's Anatomy. If you have not heard the song, I recommend you hear it as a part of that episode - it brought me close to tears and I do not get emotional easily over TV.

No comments: