Monday, August 20, 2007

Happy Birthday

On August 17, 1982, the first CDs were produced - containing Richard Strauss' Alpine Symphony. Which means the CD just celebrated its 25th anniversary. The CD's progress was amazingly fast, though - by 1986, CD players were outselling record players, and by 1988 CDs outsold records. It also provided a huge boost for the recording industry during the 1980's as music fans replaced their aging cassettes and vinyl LPs with compact discs.

And althought CD sales have sharply fallen over the past few years, and other, newer formats are poised to take its place, it will be a while before we have seen the end of the CD - I, for one, still like having the physical CD in my possession and uploading that into my iPod - as opposed to just relying on iTunes (even though I spend more money than I would like on Apple's digital download service).

No comments: