Monday, September 18, 2006

The Business of Music


I am the lead singer, booking manager, administrator, and it seems like a hundred other things for a local Richmond VA band called Offering and this summer I have been taking music business courses at Berklee College of Music Online. One of my final assignments was writing a business plan for our band, and that is why I have not posted for a few days...... I have been buried in executive summaries and market analysis and product development and long term vision and cash flow statements. All I ever wanted was sing and play music and write songs :)..... but actually this business side of music can be a lot of fun too, it is just different, and it is hard work, like anything done well is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's a fantastic time to be involved in the music business - in any capacity. times of tremendous upheaval represent times of tremendous opportunity.

Just looking a the different ways that two of the four majors are handling the YouTube situation shows that the paradigms are shifting (have shifted), thus allowing for the savvy music business participant to slip in through the cracks.

great blog.

George